Festive 500 is an annual challenge to ride 500 km between December 24-31, a week typically characterised by other obligations and unpleasant riding weather. Let's start the week by riding as many (~3 mi) laps around Green Lake as we can before we fall off our bikes from either exhaustion or brain-melting boredom!
- 🎉12 laps (41 miles) completes the F500 daily goal if you wanna finish in 8 days
- 🎉20 laps: metric century!
- 🎉31 laps: imperial century!
- 🎉100 laps (actually maybe just 96?) completes the Festive 500!?!?!
Pace will vary by person and throughout the day, probably! Some will be faster than others, but you're riding in a circle and bound to encounter them again! Dress up if you want? Santa hats are always fun. Dress up your bike? Be festive???
- 🚵 Who: You??
- ⭕ What: Ride around Green Lake!!
- 🗓️ When: 24th December, 9am
- 🌊 Where: Green Lake! (No official meet spot, just come ride in a circle and wave to other people riding in a circle)
- ⁉️ Why: idk. BYO reasons!
I'll be riding clockwise, at least to start, but it doesn't actually matter!! Switch it up because it's gonna get boring!
- 🔦 REMEMBER: Bring lights, pass safely (be vocal! use your bell!), be attentive (especially if u running a light 😇), WATCH FOR ICE, be nice to people who maybe aren't riding in a circle
- 🥳 ALSO: Ride as much or little as you want; come late or stay late; bring snacks; come heckle; take breaks
About Kiri Yu
No photos yet!
If you were wondering: YES, this is still on! Friday looks like it's gonna be a shitshow, but temperatures for Saturday look promising (40's to low 50's! that's 20 degrees warmer than it is right now!) for thawing out the dangerous ice.
It's still gonna be WET and COLD and BREEZY though, so be sure to bring layers, rain gear, lights, etc.
I've updated the event to nix the initial meetup to make it more flexible for everyone. Start time is also now 9am (maybe it will be warmer), but since there will be no pep talk, so you can just show up and ride! Wave to other people also riding in a circle!
If anyone's able to report on road conditions en route to and around Green Lake at the start of the day, that'd be great. Otherwise, see ya on the loop. :)